Sunday, October 16, 2016

BELONGING TO WHITE


White struggled with the pain in his side and with defecating as he travelled to other farms to canvass for support for his farm, especially for help with fighting the wild dogs in the north east and getting back yams that were stashed in far away farms. Each time White would come back home he would meet his wife Shabu at the gates howling and complaining about losing all the friends they had before he became farm manager. 

“I do not like what this job is doing to you, Shabu said to White. “When you were not farm manager, you had good friends who used to sit in your quiet part of the forest, telling jokes and cracking bones and being sincere. Now there are all these hawks and vultures and hyenas I have never seen before running and ruining the farm.”

And always White would tell her to be patient and that things would soon change. 

“Be patient my darling Shabu,” White would say. “Nothing is ever achieved in a haste. I know what I am doing. Don’t worry about that toad Timbu. I need him now. But trust me once I get my own men throughout the farm, I will cut him loose.” 

And Shabu would reluctantly stop howling. However lately, Shabu could barely see White. He was either too busy or in a far away farm or too tired to do anything when she actually saw him. 

“You don't have time for me anymore. You don't touch me anymore.”

“No darling Shabu it is not what you think. I have this pain in my side and down there when I defecate and it would quite stressful to love you the way you want, the way I should.” 

And when Shabu no longer had the ear of White, she waited until White went on one of his trips and went to the market square and gathered all the animals who would listen and told them that hawks and hyenas and vultures had showed up after White became farm manager and surrounded him:

…I have never seen those hyenas and vultures before. Not one of them. Meanwhile all of the hardworking ants and pigeons and monkeys and baboons who struggled to make sure Goodhead did not destroy this farm have all been tossed aside. 

And White heard that Shabu had said this, and he ordered that she be tied to a tree in the middle of the farm with only her hind legs standing, pending his return. When he got back he called a huge meeting and said to all who were gathered:

“You see this woman? She belongs in my bush. She belongs to me. And I will not let anyone who belongs to me embarrass me.”

And supporters of White did not know whether to defend Shabu or plead for her. Some animals said she was only joking. Other animals claimed she had spoken the truth and White needed to be saved from his new friends. 

“Look at White,” one giraffe said. “White is holy and can do no wrong. You can trace every problem on this farm to the bad friends who surround him and stop him from loving his wife properly. White is holy and can do no wrong. Every wrong you think White does is wrong that comes from his enemies.” 

And Shabu looked on in fear as White glowered at her, deciding what to do with her. A tear rolled down Shabu’s eyes. 

“All I ever wanted was to spend some quality time with you. To be called your wolf in public. To be called the first wolf. To be able to come cuddle with you at midnight even with the pain in your side. You know I will be gentle White. You have let these people threaten our love.”

White’s hand trembled as she spoke and he grit his teeth. 

“I love you too Shabu,” White broke down. “But I need you to be on my side because while I belong to nobody, you belong to me. Say it into my ear baby.”

Shabu asked that the rope be loosened so she could reach his ear. White motioned with his head for one of his farm hands to take her down. In front of all the animals she came close and whispered: “You belong to nobody but I belong to you daddy.”

“Say it again,” White moaned, shutting his eyes.

“I belong to you daddy!”

“Say it again!”

“I belong to you daddy.”

“I belong to you daaaaddddyyy…”

And all the animals watching became embarrassed and walked away from them. 

To distract the animals, the Whitist Priests began chanting loudly:

In the name of the White father
And of the farm hands
And of the holy Whitists…

Bless us White for we have sinned
Bless our thoughts
Bless our desires
Bless our intentions

Blessed be thy name
Thy will be done in every quarter among every animal species
Teach us to love your will
Teach us to be teachable
Teach us to trust your will even when your will may not be clear
Teach us to defend your will before it becomes your will
For thine are the decisions, the thoughts and the glory
For as long as you choose to be farm leader
Amen

And as they chanted the bats kept on being attacked and killed.

And winged animals kept appealing to White to make bats illegal on the farm. 


And hunger and thirst continued all across the farm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You fit vex, bet abeg no curse me. You hear?